November 27, 2010

funny things from smelly socks...


i had the most fun yesterday making sock monkeys from his Nibs unwanted Christmas socks {from last year}...i can't believe how much he loves them...and even though i made them for children...i think these two comando sock monkeys may end up living in the lounge here!



i haven't ever made these before, and i followed this tutorial by web godess




i had to give them extra long tails for fun...and it works well as it balances the monkeys so they sit upright on the back of the sofa...but you'll need pretty long socks if you want to copy this! now they're done...i'm totally hooked...and i think i might even do my own version of a tutorial, with a few changes along the way...but we'll see how busy Christmas prep gets...

ps...you'll notice that i did really messy stitching on my monkeys...this was partly because it was quite dark in the lounge, partly because i was watching tv...but mainly because i think it adds to the scruffy/well loved look :0) of course...you could do them neatly if you wanted too...

stay safe and warm in the snow if you have any,
alixx

8 comments:

Wendy said...

LOL - these are brilliant!!!

Carin McDonough said...

Oh wow, totally gorgeous! I saw these a few months ago on someones blog and wanted to try making some and still haven't and now seeing yours I am just itching to make some again! I would keep them too! :)

Ali said...

Hee! Those are SO cool! Talk about your funky monkeys! :D

I suck at fabric crafts so am in awe of anyone who can do clever things like this. :)

Ali

Rosie said...

These guys are just FAB!! Clever Alix ...

Glen said...

LOL @ your sock monkies Alix. I LOVE them and I really want to make some but I have already made a list of 4 things now that I am trying to get done before the end of November to free up my time for refitting a new kitchen! *Ü* TFS. ~Glen~

Sarah Louise said...

Love the Alix, i can see why your DH wants to keep them. Well done

Anonymous said...

So cute! These may have to go onto my to do list!!

Steph said...

These are just so cute! I can't believe they were made from some socks xx