May 25, 2012

Stamp Carving 101...faux woodcut stamps

Hello again...I'm back with some more of Julie Fei~Fan Balzer's Stamp Carving 101 course...this lesson was  all about recreating the look of woodcut stamps with carvable rubber.  Basically its easy, simply don't remove all the excess and try to keep what you leave as random looking as possible.  Here is my design:


I drew 5 simple flowers in a row, and because my design was so simple...I left alot of the background to create a fairly heavy woodcut pattern and balance this out.  It is quite possible to go back though and remove more and more rubber to create a more subtle look if you prefer that.

Simply stamped in black on cream cardstock is my favourite way to show this design off:


But you can change the look dramatically by using different inks...here i've used rainbow pads, and for the bottom right I stamped in Versamark and used chalks to colour it:


So what is stopping you..?  If you still haven't had a go...go on...its easy!

4 comments:

Sue Jones said...

looks fun - fab results:)

Ali said...

Wow, gorgeous - you must be having fun!

Rosie said...

These are super - and yes they DO look like woodcuts. Clever girl! Hope the chemo is nearly over ... its a long haul.

misteejay said...

Great results Alix - they look fabulous.

Toni xx