March 24, 2012

Stamp Carving 101 lesson 6...damask!


This has to have been one of the most surprisingly enjoyable lessons so far...damask designs and I are not natural bedfellows as they tend to be a bit subtle {tone on tone} for me...but I had a go at designing my own and I absolutely love it!!!


I started off my making a drawing, which I did half of, and then folded the paper to transfer the design to create a symmetrical pattern...here is the drawing and the finished stamp together:


when its printed out it looks like this:


pretty cool, huh! ;0)
But don't worry if  you're intimidated by the idea of drawing  your own damask design...Julie provides templates for people who want to use her designs!

If you look closely at the stamp you'll see that i carved it really deeply to give a good clear impression and create a really bold damask design.  This is personal choice of course, you could go for a really dainty design...but i've never been accused of being dainty!!! lol


and here it is stamped onto an old napkin in fabric ink...all i need now is a plain white table cloth and i'm going to stamp it all over to match the napkins...and who knows...i might even be a big brave girl and iron them so they look a bit better!! ;0)



As always i'd love your feedback...what do you think of my design?  do you like it stamped in pink...or do you think it would have been better in a dark colour?  i'm waiting to find some deep purple fabric ink actually to do the table cloth and the rest of the napkins...watch this space!

5 comments:

Ali said...

That is a beautiful design, reminds me of lino printing at school, but so much more refined. Love that pink on the tablecloth too. Well done you :)

Claire said...

Oh it's lovely Alix, really beautiful design.
C xx

gillyb's crafting blog said...

it was certainly worth waiting for, and beautiful. Well done, I'd never be able to do anything like that or should I say I would never have the patience to do anything like that. I really love it.

Rosie said...

I am SO impressed with your stamp carving - I had a little try and its harder than it looks, and sadly I couldn't access the class you've been doing.

fatmonica said...

It's beautiful!I love it stamped on the napkin.